Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ok, new tradition: Song Sundays. Let the deconstruction begin! In the song "We Are Young," it goes: "My lover she is waiting for me just across the bar. My seat's been taken by some sunglasses asking about a scar. I know I gave it to you months ago. I know you're trying to forget. But between the drinks and subtle things, the holes in my apologies, I know you're trying to forget." What is the "it?" What is she trying to forget? I have two theories: 1) the little fellow got drunk or high and hit her. It's the obvious answer. Domestic violence is the mostly likely means of producing a visible scar. What do you tell a Backdoor Betty with two black eyes? 2) It's an abortion scar. Admittedly, she'd have to be pretty trashy to have a visible abortion scar at a bar, but what kind of girl dates a guy in a band anyway? I mean sure, there are guys with real jobs who don't make you pay for dinner, but he could be a rock star one day, and he'll take me with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment